The representatives of independent online journalism platforms from across Pakistan, gathered in Lahore on November 18-19, 2020 and issued the following declaration:
We, the representatives of independent online journalism platforms from across Pakistan, gathered in Lahore on November 18-19, 2020, have agreed to join together into an Association and outlined its following mission and core charter:
- To support and practice independent online public interest journalism in Pakistan
- To strive to be, from across Pakistan, the voice of the voiceless, the deliberately silenced or the often unheard and the regularly ignored.
- To represent the rights and interests of all the socio-political and economically marginalized communities ignored by the mainstream media.
- To represent, from the sidelined margins of power, Pakistan’s demographic diversity and pluralisms – including geographic, ethnic, linguist, religious, cultural and class.
- To promote development and professionalism of the independent online journalism sector in Pakistan.
- To be the representative body to safeguard the rights and interests of independent online journalism platforms in Pakistan.
All signatory platforms below became founding members of the Association.
The Association also agreed to formally outline, in follow-up meetings, the Mandate for the Association including support of existing members, rules for new membership and collaborative ideas to strengthen both the Association and the Charter.
Signatories – Nov 19, 2020
Balochistan 24 – Mr Ghulam Murtaza Zehri
Balochistan Voices – Mr Adnan Aamir
HumSub – Mr Adnan Khan Kakar
IBC Pakistan – Mr Sabookh Syed
Journalism Pakistan – Mr Imran Naeem Ahmad
Native Media – Mr Kashif Baloch, Afshan Masab
Naya Daur – Mr Syed Ali Raza Zaidi (Ali Warsi)
Sabaat – Mr Shahzada Irfan
Sujag – Mr Badar Alam, Mr Tauqeer Mustafa
Tajziat – Mr Muhammad Amir Rana
TheReporters – Ms Shazia Mehboob
Tribal News Network – Mr Tayyeb Afridi
Voicepk – Ms Xari Jalil